11.29.2011

dax drew

hello again.
i don't keep a journal. dax has inspired me. this is now going to be our journal. :)

meet dax drew sorenson...

october 2nd came and went. i was a little sad. i knew that i would go longer but i had been looking forward to that day for a whole long 9 months or so. it was depressing going to the dr's office and getting my membranes swept 4 or 5 times and no action. not even one contraction. at this point i wanted to be in pain. i was so ready to meet our little boy. after a whole week of being overdue i was starting to feel like he was not going to make an entrance into the world at all. :) we went to our routine appointment on friday (october 7th) and the dr told me that i could go into labor at any time. and if i didnt go on my own, i would be getting a phone call on sunday morning around 6:00am telling us what time to come into the hospital. sure enough at 6:03am my phone started ringing. after i calmed my heart a little i answered.the woman told me they were ready for us to come to the hospital. getting ready to leave our house was very weird. we hardly talked at all. (possibly because it was 6 in the morning) as we got our bags into the car and pulled out of the driveway i couldnt help but think how much our lives were about to change. i might have cried. a little. i was scared and super nervous.

we arrived at the hospital around 6:45am. i think i remember our car being 1 of  3 cars in the parking lot. walking into the hospital i could feel my heart beat harder and harder. we met the nurse at the nurses station. her name was julie. she was very sweet. she showed us to our room and gave me the very stunning hospital gown that i needed to put on. i hate those things so much! after we were all situated the nurse hooked me up to some pitocin. she told me that i had to finish a whole iv bag before the dr could break my water. after about an hour and a half dr chalmers came in and decided to break my water. a very weird feeling i must add. :) not to be graphic but literally felt like i was peeing my pants. not ok. haha. dr chalmers told me it would probably be after 7pm before anything would happen and that he would be back later that evening. after about 30 min i felt my first contraction. it wasn't to bad but they sure did get worse. and fast. the nurse checked me and i was only at a four. i wanted to try and hold off getting the epidural until i really felt like i needed it. contractions were coming only 3 min apart and they were super intense. i requested an epidural after maybe 40 minutes of contractions. (ok it might have been earlier than that..i like to think i was a little bit hard core) dr lind came in and told me the routine of the epidural. i was having super strong contractions so he had to hurry and work between them. after he finished i felt my legs getting numb. possibly the best invention ever. after getting the epidural i was much more comfortable and could enjoy the movies on tv. we watched knocked up (very fitting) and monsters inc. near the end of the movie the nurse came in and checked me again. sure enough i was at a nine. progress progress progress! she quickly called my dr and told him he needed to come back to the hospital. after arriving at the hospital he came in and checked me and said i was fully dilated and 100% effaced. he told me that the baby's head had not dropped as much as he would like. but he said if i pushed he would come down. that is what i did. the delivery crew came in and got me all ready. one of the nurses, barb, was super funny. i will forever remember the conversations we had between pushing. clay aiken was the topic mostly. weird! the dr came in and i pushed my little heart out. i remember looking over at jimmy hoping that he wouldnt pass out. after pushing for a total of 20 min at (2:31pm), i saw our little boy for the first time. weighing in at 7 lbs 2 oz, and measuring at 19 inches long. he was the most amazing sight i have ever seen. looking at jimmy made me cry. looking at our baby made me cry.

the nurses were obsessed with him. but not as obsessed as i was.

the epidural wore off after about an hour in the delivery room so i was able to walk to a wheelchair to go to recovery. we went upstairs and the recovery nurses told me that to get rid of my iv i had to use the bathroom on my own. i said i was up to try. then scary story...hemorrhage. i got super light headed and was going to pass-out. nurses were running in and out of the room. they helped me back to the bed and gave me some shots to contract my uterus. and hooked me back up to an iv bag of pitocin. dangit. this was the start of a long night. the nurses kept coming in and out all night long. right as i would fall asleep they would come in to check something or change the garbage. so annoying. and so it began our nights of little sleep. the next day came and i was discharged. i have never seen jimmy so antsy to get out of somewhere. :)

driving home was super weird. i couldnt hear him and kept asking jimmy if he thought he was still breathing. we had to stop at the store on the way home and i jumped in the back to make sure he was still ok. of course he was...just sleeping. i couldnt help but just stare at him. he was beautiful. its crazy to think that we are parents. i love our little family.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! How amazing, I'm so happy for you! Obsessed with the name you picked. He is so cute, how lucky are you! Loved the story.

    ReplyDelete